LAIE, Hawaii – Lizabelle Talataina scored the walk-off run on an error to lift BYU-Hawaii Softball to a 2-1 victory over No. 13 Dixie State in the first game Friday, but the Trailblazers took the second game 9-0 at the BYU-Hawaii softball field.
Brittany Vasquez led the Seasiders (10-18, 7-9 PacWest) at the plate, hitting 3 for 6 with a run. Alexa Barrett added a 2 for 5 performance at the plate to go with the lone RBI of the day for BYU-Hawaii. Taina Williamson improved her record to 4-7 after allowing one run over seven innings in the first game.
Mallory Paulson hit 2 for 5 for Dixie State (25-6, 11-3 PacWest) with two home runs and four RBI on the day. Alexis Barkwell (4-0) allowed four hits to earn the shutout in the second game.
- T. Williamson ended the first scoring threat as Shelby Yung popped up to second to leave Janessa Bassett stranded at second in the top of the third.
- Paulson got the Trailblazers on the board in the fourth inning with a solo shot to left center for the 1-0 lead.
- With runners on first and second with two outs, Alanna Anderson scooped a groundball to third and touched her bag to end the frame.
- Each team had one hit over the next two innings and T. Williamson retired the side in the top of the seventh with a strike out on an appeal to the first base umpire.
- Vasquez singled up the middle to lead off the bottom of the seventh and Talataina sent a line drive into shallow right on the next at bat.
- After Makaela Williamson sacrificed both runners into scoring position, Barrett sent a ball back up the middle to score one. Bassett's throw home sailed high and Talataina took advantage to slide into home in front of the tag for the walk-off win.