BELMONT, Calif. – BYU-Hawaii softball escaped bases loaded jams in the final inning of both games to sweep Notre Dame de Namur with 11-9 and 2-1 victories Thursday at Notre Dame High School.
Brittany Vasquez led the Seasiders (6-10, 5-1 PacWest) with in the first game going 3 for 4 with a double and three RBI. Meghan Wantz moved to 4-4 with a complete game in the first game and Taiana Williamson (1-5) earned her first victory at BYU-Hawaii after holding the Argonauts (2-4, 2-2 PacWest) to one run in the night cap.
Antionette Watson hit .333 at the plate with three RBI and two runs to lead NDNU, while Gianna Gesler went 5 for 9 with three runs.
- Haley Stahl singled to lead off the game for the Argonauts and scored after back-to-back errors. Antionette Watson singled and Tayler Haynes doubled to score three more and a Melissa Ortega single allowed Haynes to come home from third for the 5-0 lead after one complete inning.
- After Katie Didonna and Alanna Anderson each reached base safely to start the third inning, Makaela Williamson sent a ball into a gap in the outfield to bring both runners home to put the Seasiders on the board. The next two batters each reached base safely to load the bases and a slow groundout to second allowed M. Williamson to come home from third to make it 5-3.
- After Sarah Captain scored on Anderson's sacrifice fly in the top of the fourth, the Argonauts loaded the bases with three consecutive singles in the bottom of the frame. Watson doubled to bring in two runners and take a 7-4 lead into the fifth.
- BYU-Hawaii benefited from two NDNU errors in the sixth to put runners on first and second with one out. M. Williamson then reached safely and advanced to second after the Argonaut third baseman struggled again to make a clean play on a bunted ball and Didonna scored from second. Barrett and Vasquez singled in back-to-back at bats to tie the game and Roxane Dennis broke the tie with an RBI single. Wantz scored on a passed ball in the next at bat and BYU-Hawaii took a 9-7 lead to the seventh.
- Vasquez doubled with runners on first and second to increase the Seasider advantage to four runs in the top of the seventh.
- After Walker drew a leadoff walk for NDNU in the bottom of the seventh, Cynthia Ream-Garcia homered to cut the lead to two. Three more singles loaded the bases with two outs, but Wantz induced a fly out to center to end the threat and take the win.