Seasiders and Sharks tie in offensive shootout

Seasiders and Sharks tie in offensive shootout

WAIPAHU, Hawaii – BYU-Hawaii men's soccer battled to a 4-4 tie against Hawaii Pacific in a high-scoring game Tuesday at the Waipio Peninsula Soccer Comlex.

Jake McRae led BYU-Hawaii (4-2-2, 3-1-1 PacWest) with two goals and six total shots. Jessey Hein contributed three shots and one assist. Einar Johnson (3-0-1) made a career high eight saves for the Seasiders.

Sven Koenig controlled Hawaii Pacific (2-2-4, 2-0-2 PacWest) with seven shots, one goal and one assist.

The Seasiders recorded 22 shots with 12 on goal, compared to Hawaii Pacific's 20 and 14, respectively. The Sharks ended with four assists, while BYU-Hawaii had one.

In the eighth minute, a long pass from Erik Kemsies found Josch Cuerten who broke away and put it past the keeper to give Hawaii Pacific a 1-0 advantage. After Jake McRae's first shot went wide, he was able to score off a defensive deflection on a cross into the box in the 13th minute to tie the game.

Paul Enzigmueller sent the ball to star player Sven Koenig, allowing him to score his 12th goal of the season to regain a 2-1 lead for the Sharks nine minutes later. The Seasiders attempted to equalize with three missed shots in the following minutes. Hein found Jaden Bybee on a corner into the box and Jarvis headed it past Chandler Schur (2-2-4), making it 2-2 in the 39th minute.

In the last minute of the half, Koenig passed it to Christian Porras for the header to regain the 3-2 lead at the break.

In the first 20 minutes of the second period, the Sharks had four shots on goal and the Seasiders had two, but neither team was able to make it through. A throw in by Kemsies on the left side made it to Christopher Galang who put it in the back of the net to extend Hawaii Pacific's lead to 4-2 in the 70th minute.

BYU-Hawaii refused to go away. Two minutes after Galang's goal, Joshua Craddock took a shot 20 yards out and put it past the keeper to close the gap to one. The shooting battle continued and McRae again took advantage of a broken pass to net his second goal in the 87th minute tie the game 4-4.

Braden Bailey had the opportunity to give the Seasiders the victory with six seconds remaining, but his ball went high to send them into overtime.

Jarvis and Bailey each put shots on goal in the first overtime, both of which were saved by Schur. None of Hawaii Pacific's seven shots in the second extra period made it in as Einar Johnson added three saves and BYU-Hawaii's back line came through with two of their own.

The Seasiders return to their home field on Saturday to face Dixie State at 12 p.m. HST. Live stats will be available online. 

View: Mobile | Desktop