Seasiders and Sharks battle to tie

Seasiders and Sharks battle to tie

LAIE, Hawaii – Jake McRae led the offense for BYU-Hawaii men's soccer as they tied Hawaii Pacific 2-2 Saturday at the BYU-Hawaii soccer field.

Jaden Epplette kept the Sharks' (0-0-1) offense at bay as he saved seven of their nine shots on goal. McRae scored the only two goals for the Seasiders (0-0-1) and totaled four shots.

Sven Koenig led Hawaii Pacific with seven total shots.

BYU-Hawaii finished with seven shots, while Hawaii Pacific totaled 15. The Seasiders had 12 fouls and three yellow cards as the Sharks ended with 14 fouls and five yellows in a physical game.

McRae broke the scoreless match in the seventh minute when the ball from Pierre Henrio found his head in the crowded box and made it to the back of the net.

Two minutes later the Sharks took McRae down in the box, allowing him to secure a penalty kick and give the Seasiders a 2-0 lead.

Hawaii Pacific attempted to retaliate, but the three consecutive shots by Koenig were unable to penetrate as the ball went wide left then was blocked before his header was saved by Epplette.

In the 38th minute a struggle near the goal gave Josiah Darland the opening to put it through for the Sharks, bringing the score to 2-1. Darland went in with another shot to equalize three minutes later, but Epplette got his gloves on it to maintain the BYU-Hawaii lead.

After two more shots in the second half, Koenig found his chance when Erik Kemsies sent him the ball and he put it in to tie the game 2-2 in the 63rd minute.

McRae looked for the opportunity to take the lead at the end of the first overtime, but his shot went wide left. Koenig's shot in the 102nd just missed the goal as it bounced off the post. Peter Puertas had a chance to take the edge a minute later, but the ball went wide right. Epplette finished the period with two more saves to keep the equal score.

BYU-Hawaii will face Chaminade on Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. HST. Live stats will be available online. 

View: Mobile | Desktop