Men's Basketball

Seasiders make plays to beat Northwood 89-86

Seasiders make plays to beat Northwood 89-86

LAIE, Hawaii (Dec. 21, 2013) – After a tough loss two nights before, the BYU-Hawaii men's basketball team was determined to be on the winning end and outlasted Northwood 89-86 on Saturday night.

Pablo Coro broke up an 84-84 tie with a 3-pointer from the corner with 34 seconds left to give BYU-Hawaii (4-5, 2-1) a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

Coro finished eight points and hit the big triple to lift the Seasiders that had four others that managed double-figure scoring. Three of them fouled out in the final minutes.

Jordan Ngatai scored 18, Scott Friel had 13 and DeAndre Medlock also had 13 points and two blocks and all three fouled out inside of three minutes remaining. Friel had a double-double with 10 rebounds.

Luke Aston added 16 points and seven boards while Robbie Mitchell had nine points and seven assists. The Seasiders went 28 of 56 for 50 percent from the field.

The Timberwolves (7-5, 3-1) were getting the offensive boards in the first half and pushed their lead to 20-11 before BYU-Hawaii started to mount a run in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Justin Yamzon drained a long triple cutting the lead to 22-16 and minutes later Aston added a trey, making it 32-26 Northwood with under four minutes until halftime.

In the final minutes, Ngatai knocked around in the post and picked up back-to-back scores to make it a one-point game at 35-34. Both teams added one more score and went into the break with Northwood holding a 37-36 lead.

In the second half the Timberwolves stretched the lead to six but BYU-Hawaii kept pounding away when Aston hit a 3-pointer giving BYU-Hawaii a 50-49 lead with 14 minutes left.

The run didn't stop as BYU-Hawaii put together a 16-2 run, taking a 57-49 lead with 12:17 to play.

Northwood kept battling and cut the lead down to three points inside of the three minutes at 79-76.

Ngatai got a much-needed hook shot to go to extend the lead back to five but the Timberwolves answered right back with a trey to make it 81-79 with 1:51 left.

After an offensive charge call on BYU-Hawaii, Northwood tied it up at 81-81 with 1:20 remaining with two free throws. Aston completed a 3-point play but the Timberwolves came right back with a triple to answer at 84 all setting up Coro's three to take the lead for good.

Both teams traded free throws but the Seasiders came out on top 89-86.

BYU-Hawaii is back in action after New Year's vs. Academy of Art on Jan. 6 in Laie.

Complete box score

View: Mobile | Desktop