LAIE, Hawaii – BYU-Hawaii women's basketball was defeated 87-60 by Academy of Art Wednesday in the Cannon Activities Center.
"We got a strong performance out of Kristin [Baldwin] tonight," BYU-Hawaii Craig Stanger said. "However, I felt as a team we did not come prepared to face a tough Academy of Art team."
Baldwin carried the Seasiders (9-15, 6-12 PacWest) with 22 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks. Marian Shiekh contributed 17 points and Tyvette White had nine rebounds.
Alana Simon led the Urban Knights (14-11, 10-7 PacWest) to victory with 23 points and six steals. Helena Orts added 21 points and nine boards and three other players finished in double digits.
BYU-Hawaii shot 34.9 percent from the field and 17.4 from 3-point range, while Academy of Art ended with 43.8 and 50, respectively. The Seasiders outrebounded the Urban Knights 47-43, but Academy of Art scored 33 points off the Seasiders' 29 turnovers.
- After the Seasiders built a 4-point lead, Orts sank a 3-pointer to spark a 12-0 run, giving the Urban Knights a 22-13 lead with 35 seconds in the first quarter.
- Jazzlyn Brewster beat the buzzer to end the first quarter 24-15 in favor of Academy of Art.
- Rodericka Wade had five consecutive points during a 9-0 run that extended the Urban Knight lead to 43-19 with 3:37 before the break.
- BYU-Hawaii responded with a 7-2 run that included the first Seasider 3-pointer of the game from Baldwin to go into the half trailing 45-26.
- Sheikh sunk back-to-back threes before BYU-Hawaii broke away on an 11-0 streak featuring five more points from Sheikh to close the gap to 49-43 with 3:26 in the third period.
- The Urban Knights answered with a 21-point run off nine free throws to build their largest lead of the game at 81-51 with three minutes to play.
The Seasiders return to action Saturday against Dixie State at 5 p.m. HST. Live stats and video will be available online.