LAIE, Hawaii – Lizabelle Talataina and Meghan Wantz led BYU-Hawaii softball to a doubleheader split with Chaminade, losing the first game 7-1 before taking a 2-1 decision in the night cap Saturday at the BYU-Hawaii softball Field.
Talataina went 1 for 4 from the plate with a home run, two RBI, two walks and a run for the Seasiders (13-30, 10-21 PacWest). Wantz (7-14) earned the victory from the circle allowing one run and five hits in seven innings pitched. Seniors Alexa Barrett and Makaela Williamson each hit .333 on the final day of their softball careers for BYU-Hawaii.
Rainelle Matsuoka went 3 for 7 from the plate with a home run and three RBI to lead the Silverswords (8-39, 5-26 PacWest). Kali Kitsinis (1-17) earned the victory in the first game allowing one run on seven hits.
- Jenn Betian opened the scoring in the top of the first taking advantage of two Seasider errors and a passed ball to round the bases for the 1-0 Chaminade lead.
- Brittany Vasquez doubled to lead off the bottom of the first and Alanna Anderson doubled to right center to bring her home and tie the game.
- Luana Moreno gave the Silverswords back the lead with a double to left field that took an odd hop to score Maureen Hutchinson from second.
- Matsuoka highlighted a four-run fourth inning bringing home two runners on a double to left center to increase Chaminade's lead to 6-1.
- The Silverswords added one more run in the fifth on Moreno's single to shallow center.
- After Wantz began the game with a clean top of the first, Sarah Captain singled and stole second in the bottom of the frame. Talataina then sent a ball high over the left-field fence to bring her home for the 2-0 lead.
- The Silverswords threatened to cut into the lead in the second, putting runners on the corners with two outs, but Wantz got Moreno to fly out to center to escape the jam.
- Matsuoka homered to left-center in the top of the third, but it was all the damage Chaminade could manage against Wantz.
- Wantz allowed only one hit over the final four frames and stellar defense in the top of the seventh retired the side to seal the victory.
This game ended the Seasiders 2017 season.