HONOLULU – Alanna Anderson led BYU-Hawaii softball to a 5-5 tie in the second game of a doubleheader with Hawaii Hilo after the Vulcans took the first game 11-1 Friday at Sand Island Park.
Alanna Anderson went 5 for 7 from the plate with two runs and two RBI for the Seasiders (10-26, 7-17 PacWest) on the day. Billi Dereleth powered the Vulcans (23-19, 14-12 PacWest) offense with a 3 for 6 day at the plate including a grand slam in the first game.
- Kristen Ishii bunted for a single to lead off the game and Mari Kawano sent a ball into right field to put runners on the corners. Ishii came home on a throwing error and Kawano scored on a sacrifice fly for the 2-0 lead.
- Dereleth highlighted a five run second inning for Hilo with a two-out grand slam over the center field wall to make it 7-0.
- Bailey Gaspar brought in two more with a double to center in and the Vulcans took a 10-0 lead into the bottom of the third.
- Anderson and Brittany Vasquez each singled and Lizabelle Talataina walked to load the bases in the bottom of the frame. Makaela Williamson laced a single into shallow left to bring in Anderson to make it 10-1.
- Maria Steadmon drove in the final run of the game for Hilo with a double to right in the top of the fourth.
The Seasiders and Vulcans will finish the second game Saturday beginning at noon HST. Location of the final two games will be determined on field conditions in Laie, Hawaii.