BELMONT, Calif. – BYU-Hawaii softball escaped bases loaded jams in the final inning of both games to sweep Notre Dame de Namur with 11-9 and 2-1 victories Thursday at Notre Dame High School.
Brittany Vasquez led the Seasiders (6-10, 5-1 PacWest) with in the first game going 3 for 4 with a double and three RBI. Meghan Wantz moved to 4-4 with a complete game in the first game and Taiana Williamson (1-5) earned her first victory at BYU-Hawaii after holding the Argonauts (2-4, 2-2 PacWest) to one run in the night cap.
Antionette Watson hit .333 at the plate with three RBI and two runs to lead NDNU, while Gianna Gesler went 5 for 9 with three runs.
- M. Williamson singled with one out and runners on first and third to bring home Didonna who reached on a fielder's choice, giving BYU-Hawaii a 1-0 lead. Barrett grounded out to short to bring in Anderson for the 2-0 lead.
- T. Williamson retired the side in the first inning, but the Argonauts threatened in the second. With the bases loaded and two outs, T. Williamson got Abriana Arzaga to pop out to third to end the inning.
- Gianna Gesler singled to right center in the top of the third and came home as teammate Tivoli Sisco started a pickle in between first and second two batters later to cut the Seasiders' lead to 2-1.
- Barrett singled to get BYU-Hawaii off to a good start in the top of the fourth. T. Williamson singled and Dennis reached on an error to load the bases with one out, but NDNU induced back-to-back groundouts to third to get out of the jam.
- T. Williamson allowed one hit over the next three frames to preserve the lead.
- Arzaga led off the bottom of the seventh with a single down the left-field line, but left early at first for the first out. Gesler and Sisco each singled and Erin Powers walked to load the bases with two outs, but T. Williamson induced a groundball to Harne at third who tagged Gesler for the final out.
BYU-Hawaii will return to the diamond to take on Dominican Friday in a doubleheader beginning at noon PST. Live stats will be available online.