LAIE, Hawaii – BYU-Hawaii softball split a doubleheader with Simon Fraser, losing the first game 5-4 before winning the second 5-4 Monday at the BYU-Hawaii softball field.
Sarah Captain went 3 for 7 to finish with three runs and one RBI on the day. Freshman Alanna Anderson added two runs and three RBI for the Seasiders (1-5). Lizabelle Talataina and Meghan Wantz each contributed two RBI. Wantz (1-2) also earned the win in the second game allowing three earned runs over nine innings.
Taylor Lundrigan led the Clan (3-1) as she went 5 for 8 to record two runs and two RBI. Tori Belton (2-1) earned a victory in the first game striking out four over six innings pitched and Alia Stachoski came in for the save in the bottom of the seventh.
- Taylor Gillis and Lundrigan singled followed by a wild pitch put two runners in scoring position for the Clan. A wild pitch brought home Taylor Gillis and two more walks allowed Lundrigan to cross for the 2-0 lead in the top of the first.
- Captain led off the game for the Seasiders with a single through the left side and advanced to second on a sacrifice. Anderson singled to score Captain and close the gap to 2-1.
- Victoria Saunders walked in the top of the second and Robyn Mogavero doubled to bring her home and give the Clan a 3-1 lead.
- Talataina singled up the middle and Makaela Williamson singled to right field to bring her home and make it a one run game again in bottom of the third.
- Marrissa Harne singled to lead off the bottom of the sixth and made her way to third on a ground ball and wild pitch. Captain then singled to shallow left field to bring her in and tie the game.
- Meghan Wantz stranded two runners in the seventh to send the game to extra innings. She then stranded another runner at second in the eighth as the game went to nine innings.
- The international tie-breaking rule placed Gillis on second to start the ninth inning. A sacrifice bunt moved her to third before Lundrigan's single brought her home.
- A fielder's choice and two singles loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth for Anderson. Anderson then took a 2-0 pitch back up the middle for a walk-off single that scored Captain and Corallee Alexander.
BYU-Hawaii will play Western Oregon in a doubleheader on Friday at 1 p.m. HST. Live stats will be available online.