Seasiders finish second in PacWest despite loss

Seasiders finish second in PacWest despite loss

HONOLULU - BYU-Hawaii men's soccer was unable to find the back of the net and fell to Chaminade 1-0 on Saturday at St. Louis Field.

The Seasiders (6-6-5, 6-2-4 PacWest) finished the season tied for second place with Fresno Pacific and Notre Dame de Namur in the PacWest Conference with 22 points.

A penalty kick by Nicolas Ferro that got past BYU-Hawaii's keeper gave Chaminade (6-10, 5-7 PacWest) the 1-0 advantage in the 43rd minute.

The Seasiders went for the goal early with a shot by Kelly Hess in the third minute that went wide. Chaminade came back with a shot by Dayton Sato that goalkeeper Chris Pineda was able to get his hands on to keep it out of the goal.

In the eleventh minute, Zak Epplette went on the attack and put a shot on net, but the Silverswords' keeper was able to make the save. Chaminade answered with an attack of their own in the 13th minute, but Pineda came up with another save.

In the 17th minute, another shot by the Silverswords was saved and a header by Matt Davies soared high over the goal to keep the game scoreless.

Hess, Colby Bauer, and Romy Lakip found room to make shots, but couldn't get the ball past the keeper to end the half down 1-0.

The game became very physical with both teams committing numerous fouls in the second half. Chad Nohoolewa attempted to tie the game, but Chaminade's keeper continued his strong play in net. 

In the 50th minute the Silverswords went in for the kill, but Ferro's shot hit the post to keep the Seasiders within striking distance. 

Epplette found an opportunity to equalize the game in the 68th minute, but his shot was saved. Two shots by Lakip in the 76th minute were both blocked by the defense and Kyle Oertel's chance a minute later sailed over the goal. 

Chaminade again looked for the knockout blow in the 81st minute but a header shot hit the post. A minute later the ball found Jace Green's head, but he was unable to make it in as the ball went wide. 

Epplette went in for the tie in the 87th minute, but the ball couldn't make it through to the back of the net as it was saved by Chaminade's goalkeeper again.

A red card on one of Chaminade's players left them shorthanded, but they were able to hold the BYU-Hawaii at bay for the final three minutes to close out the win.​

View: Mobile | Desktop