Seasiders blow through the Red Storm

Seasiders blow through the Red Storm

LAIE, Hawaii – Jace Green led BYU-Hawaii men's soccer with two goals in a 5-0 shutout against Dixie State on Saturday at the BYU-Hawaii soccer field.

"Five-nil that's what I'm talking about," BYU-Hawaii head coach Mark Davis said. "You could just tell before the game started that we were ready to play. We were able to execute our game plan perfectly to dominate the match."

The Seasiders (3-4-1. 3-0 PacWest) wasted no time getting the game started as a center from Pawel Dregan found Jace Green inside the box who headed it past the Dixie State (0-5-1, 0-2 PacWest) goalkeeper to make it 1-0 in the second minute.

In the 16th minute, Chad Nahoolewa and Zak Epplette worked a flawless triangle pass to give Nahoolewa a one-on-one chance against the Dixie State keeper. He capitalized on his chance to give the Seasiders a 2-0 lead.

Epplette found himself in the middle of another play as he crossed the ball to Green for another Seasider goal making it 3-0 in the 34th minute.

Green was once again able to position himself for a potential hat trick with only the Dixie State keeper to beat in the 40th minute, but was unsuccessful as Spencer Anderson was able to reach him before he could cause more damage.

Mike Moreno's header in the 49th minute looked like it would give the Seasiders a 4-0 lead, but was negated by the official on an offside.

A shot by Alex Galvan two yards from the goal in the 60th minute gave the Red Storm their most promising shot of the game until it was expertly saved by Chris Pineda.

Jacob Szuch fed the ball to Zak Epplette behind the defense, catching the Dixie State keeper off-position making it an easy lob shot to make it a 4-0 game in the 81st minute.

The fifth and final goal from the Seasiders came from a corner as Kelly Hess found Colby Bauer inside the box to cleanly put it in the back of Dixie State's net.

BYU-Hawaii's back four spearheaded by Landon Southwick, held the Dixie state offence to 10 difficult shots on goal, all saved by Pineda, making it the second consecutive shutout by the Seasiders.

BYU-Hawaii returns to the pitch on Monday to take on Cal Baptist at 12:30 p.m. on the BYU-Hawaii Soccer Field.

View: Mobile | Desktop