LAIE, Hawaii – Denhym Brooke led BYU-Hawaii men's basketball to a 79-76 victory over Academy of Art University Wednesday night at the Cannon Activities Center.
"I was proud of how our guys played tonight," BYU-Hawaii head coach Gabriel Roberts said. "Denhym really battled inside and helped us keep close in the first half and our 3-pointers started to fall in the second half to give us a boost. It was a really good battle between two teams."
Brooke had a double-double with his career high of 23 points along with 11 rebounds, four blocks, and three steals. Marquez Jackson had a career high in rebounds with 10 and added three blocks.
Victor Nwaba led Academy of Art (6-17, 5-12 PacWest) off the bench with 14 points and five rebounds.
BYU-Hawaii (6-18, 4-14 PacWest) shot an impressive 49.2 percent from the field and 26.7 percent from the 3-point line. The Seasiders outrebounded the Urban Knights 41-31 and had a team total of 10 blocks and 10 steals.
- Chris Salas ignited a 12-4 run for the Urban Knights early and Kendall Brown secured the game's largest lead at 20-12 with a 3-pointer with 13:29 remaining in the half.
- BYU-Hawaii responded with a 6-0 run on the back of Brooke's two blocks to regain some momentum and get back within two at the midway point of the half.
- Academy of Art rebuilt its lead with a 6-0 run of its own, featuring a layup from Uchenna Okeneme and topped off with a pair of free throws by Victor Nwaba to make it 28-20.
- Brooke led the Seasiders back into the game again scoring six points in an 8-2 run. He capped the run with an offensive rebound off a missed free-throw and a one-handed dunk to tie the game at 30 with 2:37 until halftime
- Gabe Andrade got into the action at the end of the half driving the lane for a layup with five seconds left. Joohan Lee was then fouled after stealing the inbounds pass and made two free throws with 0.4 seconds on the clock to give BYU-Hawaii the 34-33 lead at the break.
- Salas led Academy of Art back into the lead with four points in a 6-1 run to take the 48-45 lead with 12 minutes left.
- BYU-Hawaii answered with four straight and took the 49-48 lead after Brooke stole the ball and threw a full court pass to Andrade for the layup.
- The teams continued to trade leads until Watson hit a 3-pointer from the right corner to give the Seasiders the 68-67 lead with 3:17 to go. Brooke then made two free throws and a hook shot with the shot clock winding down to maintain the lead for the Seasiders. On the ensuing possession Brooke poked a ball loose and started the fast break that ended in D McCleary's layup to give BYU-Hawaii the 75-69 lead with 29 seconds left in the game.
- Victor Nwaba answered for Academy of Art with an immediate three with 21 seconds left and Chris Salas made two free throws to put the Urban Knights within one with 19 seconds to play.
- McCleary hit two free throws to seal the victory for the Seasiders.
BYU-Hawaii will return to the court Saturday night at the Cannon Activities Center against Dixie State at 7 p.m. HST.