IRVINE, Calif. – No. 23 BYU-Hawaii men's basketball will look to win its first every PacWest Championship Tournament title when it takes on No. 19 Cal Baptist on Saturday at 4:15 p.m. PST at Concordia University Arena.
No. 23 BYU-Hawaii (23-5, 15-5 PacWest)
- Scott Friel scored a career-high 31 points to lead BYU-Hawaii to a 98-75 win on Friday, its largest win ever against Dixie State.
- Ian Harward and Justin Yamzon brought some great production off the bench for the Seasiders. Harward had 14 points and four blocks, while Yamzon had a perfect shooting night on his way to 11 points.
- Daniel Berger didn't have his best offensive game of the season, but grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds.
- Berger led the Seasiders with 18 points and seven rebounds against Cal Baptist in Riverside, California.
- Friel added 14 points, eight rebounds and three assists in that loss on the road.
- The Seasiders and Lancers split the season series with each team winning by 13 on their home court.
- This is the first appearance in the PacWest Championship final by BYU-Hawaii in the tournament's three year history.
No. 19 Cal Baptist (24-5, 16-4 PacWest)
- After building a big first half lead, the Lancers held off a furious rally by Azusa Pacific to take a 78-67 win into the championship game.
- The Lancers were led by Gelaun Wheelwright's 20 points, while Ryan Berg was close behind with 19 points.
- Taj Spencer added a double-double of 16 points and 13 rebounds against the Cougars.
- Jordan Giusti was the hero for Cal Baptist in its last game against BYU-Hawaii in Riverside, California, finishing with 19 points and four rebounds.
- Ryan Berg scored 15 in that game against the Seasiders, despite battling foul trouble.
- The Lancers' bench contributed 46 points during the win in Riverside.