Men's Basketball

Comeback falls short in 79-75 loss to NDNU

Comeback falls short in 79-75 loss to NDNU

BELMONT, Calif. (Jan. 23, 2014) – The BYU-Hawaii men's basketball team couldn't overcome an early hot-shooting Notre Dame de Namur team and lost a close one, 79-75 on Thursday night.

The Seasiders (8-8, 6-4) came back from down 12 points to tie it up with under one minute to play but couldn't go back on top in the final 57 seconds of action.

BYU-Hawaii cut it back down to three late when Jerome Harris knocked down a 3-pointer from the corner to make it 73-70 with 1:45 left in the game.

After a quick Argo two, Harris hit another triple to bring the lead down to two and Robbie Mitchell got a steal and dished to Scott Friel who laid it up and in to tie the score at 75-75 with 57 seconds remaining.

The Seasiders couldn't find another bucket though and the NDNU hung on at the free throw line to win it 79-75.

Friel led the visitors with 18 points, nine rebounds and one steal. Harris, DeAndre Medlock and Luke Aston all had 11 points apiece.

The Argonauts (6-11, 5-6) shot 50.9 percent for the game, including 47.4 percent from behind the arc. The home team shot 54.5 percent in the first half. BYU-Hawaii was held to 40.0 percent in the first but mounted a comeback behind 58.3 percent shooting in the second half.

Down by two early on, BJ Ford checked in and hit five straight to give BYU-Hawaii a 16-13 lead with 12 to go until halftime.

The game stayed tight through the first half with neither team taking more than a two-point lead until the Argonauts hit a 3-pointer, making it 33-28 with 3:51 to go in the first half.

NDNU got hot from downtown and pushed the lead to 41-31 just over a minute before halftime and took a 41-33 lead into the break.

After halftime the Argonauts continued to hit the triples and pushed their lead to 51-39 in the first few minutes.

A steal from Mitchell and a fast break finish from Jordan Ngatai cut into the lead. Friel hit a fadeaway jumper to bring the lead back to 52-46 behind a 7-0 run with 11:55 left in the game.

BYU-Hawaii struggled to find their shot though and fell behind again 63-52 with 7:22 remaining.

A quick steal and a foul put BYU-Hawaii back within reach after Aston made two free ones, down 67-61 with under five minutes to go in the game.

NDNU brought down an offensive board and was able to drain another minute off the clock and push the lead to 70-61.

The Seasiders mounted one last effort to tie it up but ultimately fell short to the Argonauts 79-75.

BYU-Hawaii takes on Academy of Art on Saturday to wrap up the road trip at 3 p.m. PT.

Complete box score

View: Mobile | Desktop