Men's Basketball

BYU-Hawaii falls in overtime 74-73 to Lake Superior State

BYU-Hawaii falls in overtime 74-73 to Lake Superior State

LAIE, Hawaii (Dec. 19, 2013) – The BYU-Hawaii men's basketball team suffered a heartbreaking 74-73 overtime loss to Lake Superior State on Thursday night.

With a one-point lead the Seasiders (3-5, 2-1) turned the ball over with 12 seconds remaining in overtime and the Lakers (10-1, 3-1) ran it into a fast break and a score, taking a 74-73 edge with five seconds to go. BJ Ford's long 3-point attempt missed on the other end and BYU-Hawaii came up just short, after battling to force the game into overtime.

Ford had already hit five 3-pointers in the game, including one earlier in OT but it wasn't enough. He totaled 17 points on 6 of 14 shooting. BYU-Hawaii shot 47.5 percent for the game while the Lakers were similar, hitting 45.9 percent of their shots.

Robbie Mitchell and Jordan Ngatai both recorded double-doubles. Mitchell scored 11 points to go along with a career-best 12 assists. Ngatai added 12 points and 11 rebounds to go with four assists and one block. Mitchell also posted five boards, two steals and one block. Both played 40 minutes apiece.

Luke Aston was hot in the first half, scoring 16 on 6 of 7 shooting in the first 20 minutes. He added seven rebounds, one assist and one steal. He finished 18, adding just two more after halftime.

In the first half, Aston put in four threes, one with 8:25 to go in the first to give BYU-Hawaii at 22-18 edge. A steal from Tyler Tuliau and a long pass to Pablo Coro gave the Seasiders two more with 7:18 to go in the first.

After a near three minute scoring drought for both teams, the Lakers got four quick ones on a made layup and an offensive board on the second try resulted in a three to cut the lead to 24-22 with 4:24 until halftime.

Ford hit a two and Aston hit his fourth triple in response, pushing the lead back to 29-22 a minute later.

Lake Superior made a little run at the end of the half to make it a one-point game but the Seasiders still led 31-30 at the break. Aston was 4 of 5 from downtown in the first.

In the second half, Ford hit back-to-back threes to give BYU-Hawaii a 46-40 lead and Mitchell went coast-to-coast on the next possession to make it 48-40. The Seasiders continued to push it with another steal from Mitchell and a dish to Ngatai to make it 56-42 during a 14-2 BYU-Hawaii run with 10:27 to go.

The Lakers weren't going away yet and cut the Seasider lead down to 63-62 with 3:41 remaining. Lake Superior kept it up during a 14-0 run while BYU-Hawaii went scoreless for over six minutes to take a 64-63 lead inside of two minutes.

With the visiting team up four inside of 22 seconds, Ford knocked down a 3-pointer, making it 69-68 Lakers. A quick foul sent Lake Superior back to the line one second later.

After the Lakers made 1 of 2, Ngatai tied the score up 70-70 on a jumper with 3.9 seconds and both teams headed to overtime.

Both teams struggled to score in the extra five minutes. A trey from Ford was all the Seasiders would get, one less than the bucket and the winning layup from Lake Superior.

BYU-Hawaii will have a quick turnaround and face Northwood on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Cannon Activities Center in another nonconference matchup.

Complete box score

View: Mobile | Desktop