Men's Basketball

Seasiders take it to overtime but fall to Central Washington

Seasiders take it to overtime but fall to Central Washington

ELLENSBURG, Wash. (Nov. 23, 2013) - Four players scored in double figures but it wouldn't be enough in a 100-93 overtime loss to Central Washington for the BYU-Hawaii men's basketball team.

Jordan Ngatai and Scott Friel both had 18 points while Robbie Mitchell and DeAndre Medlock added 15 and 14 points, respectively. Each of the four contributed five rebounds apiece, Mitchell snagged five steals and Medlock recorded three blocked shots.

For the second night in a row, BYU-Hawaii (1-3) shot 50 percent but still suffered defeat. The free throw line was unfriendly to the Seasiders as they made 18 of 27 tries for just 66.7 percent.

Two made free throws from Jerome Harris did send the game to overtime but the Wildcats (2-2) clung to a lead in the final minutes to beat the visiting Seasiders in the final game of the PacWest/GNAC Challenge.

Mitchell was named to the All-Tournament team. In the two games of the series, the Washington product averaged 12.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 4.5 steals.

Mitchell set the tone early with his first steal with a layup to take a 6-2 lead and Friel added another easy two shortly after, giving BYU-Hawaii a 14-12 lead in the first five minutes of the game.

Friel's layup was the start of an 8-2 Seasider run, capped by Ngatai's and-one play to make it 22-14 with 12:47 until halftime. After a Wildcat score, a 6-0 run minutes later gave BYU-Hawaii a double-digit lead at 28-16.

The lead got stretched to 14 at one point but the Wildcats hung around. The Seasiders took a 46-38 lead into halftime.

After the break, Central Washington made a run tie the ball game 55-55 with 14:29 remaining. Mitchell quickly responded with a made 3-pointer to put BYU-Hawaii back on top 58-55.

Ngatai made two layups on back-to-back positions as the Seasiders were trading leads back and forth with Central Washington down the stretch of regulation. BYU-Hawaii led 72-71 with just over five minutes but then the Wildcats put together a string of scoring to take a 80-74 lead over the next two minutes.

In the closing seconds, down 84-82 to CWU, Harris missed his layup but got fouled after and offensive rebound. He made two clutch free throws to send the game to overtime.

Most of the overtime looked the like the latter part of the second half with the teams going punch-for-punch. The Wildcats eventually got some cushion and the Seasiders couldn't recover in the 100-93 overtime defeat.

BYU-Hawaii has a week off before resuming action in Laie vs. PacWest foe Hawaii Hilo on Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m.

Complete box score

View: Mobile | Desktop